Sunday, November 4, 2007

Help Me!

For my first catchup post, I would like to discuss my feelings on The Fly. I first saw this movie when I was about 8 years old on a night where I had a "scary movie marathon." Of course, being only 8, my parents didn't actually let me watch very many truly scary movies, but my mom was adamant that I watch The Fly. I never did find it scary, but certainly found it disturbing. Watching it again more than a decade later, my mind found whole new issues with the film.

The first is the whole idea of teleportation. Sure, this is one of the coolest superpowers that any of the X-Men ever had, but that was always explained without science to come in and ruin the fun. Here we actually find a discussion about the movement and re assemblage of atoms and molecules so that the same person or thing comes out on the otherside. I must say, even if scientists were ever able to develop such a thing, there is no chance in HELL that I would get into the thing. My reason is actually the same reason that Invasion freaked me out. I just don't believe that the person who would show up on the other side of the device would be me. To the glance of anyone else it would be... and in a way it would be a perfect remake of me that would act, think, feel, move, be the same as I was. However, I can't help but think that I would actually be dead and gone. My personal consciousness would cease to exist and that is just something that I would not be willing to risk.

Back to the film itself, I find the ending to be a fantastic theoretical question. Posed with the same dilemma of killing the half fly/half-man beast that was screaming from the web, what would you do? Personally, no matter what I did, I know that I would be utterly ruined for life. Should I save the creature, there really isn't anything I could do to help it. The rest of both their bodies was completely destroyed so there is obviously no hope of saving either animal. However, letting it die, or, killing it myself, would prevent me from ever having a good night's sleep again. Did I kill a human? Am I a murdered? Was it the right thing to do? It works well to blur the line between killing humans and animals. Sure a fly might not be entirely sentient, but there is SOME sort of consciousness there...

No comments: